Friday 25 April 2014

This is from Matilda...

Last night between sourcing some costumes for Riverside Opera's upcoming production of Romeo and Juliet and a wee dram of Glenmorangie I decided to adapt my bow tie pattern a teensy bit and play with some fabric I bought in Spain a couple of weeks ago. This isn't vintage fabric but it does have a vintage print which jumped off the shelf and right into my basket before you could say "Gracias". The fabric itself was actually pretty awkward to work with because it's rather delicate... perhaps would make a better (skinny?) tie... Market research to ensue on this matter! Awkward fabric aside, I'm still pretty pleased with the outcome. I also couldn't find my interfacing anywhere so I have used non fusible interfacing which actually worked really well to soften it up a bit and give it more body.

Working to a soundtrack of Alt-J, John Smith and The Staves which is also quite fitting I think for the look of the bow tie I started cutting and pinning. I had a mild heart attack when I realised for some reason my sewing machine was jammed but apparently nothing a good whack wouldn't sort after I took it half to pieces. Phew! I probably have enough of this colour to make more bow ties/ties and also I have the same pattern in dark green, red and purple. Orders welcome!

Et Voila!




Going back in time a few weeks... When I was ill earlier this year I received a gift from my aunt and uncle, since I don't have a TV this was the closest I'd come to The Great British Sewing Bee. It's probably closer actually as it has all the patterns and ideas right there in one book. Some styles I've made before and some I haven't. I'd been meaning to get cracking with bow ties for a while and on opening this fabulous gift I no longer had an excuse to procrastinate. I offered my friend a lucky dip of fabric and he dived straight in for the gorgeous floral cotton from my previous post 'The Shirt'. What a stylish man. 


No comments:

Post a Comment